Wednesday, September 11, 2013

my thoughts on being a "natural light" photographer | Henderson Photographer

I have read an awful lot of articles and comments lately bashing people who consider themselves "natural light" photographers. Since I consider myself a "natural light" photographer, this has me quite bothered. Maybe a better term for what I am is an "available light" photographer, but that just doesn't sound as good on a website or business cards! I absolutely prefer to use natural light whenever possible, whether that be direct sunlight, outdoor shade, or window light. I love the natural catch lights in the eyes from those sources. I am most inspired during the daylight hours and by yummy natural light. (Give me golden hour any day!) However, I also love me some fabulous "available light"....whether that be candlelight, party/twinkle lights, the light from an i-Pad, stage lighting, etc. I would much prefer to capture the moment in the light that is available in that moment without adding artificial light. That being said, sometimes it is not possible. Sometimes I have to pull out my flash and use it, if the room is too dark or I need the flash to freeze the action, etc. I might not be a master, and it's something I will definitely continue to work on, but I am capable of doing it. Natural or available light will always be what I seek and what inspires me and I refuse to let anyone tell me that I am lesser than because of that.


Thanks for stopping by!

~Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment